Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ghana 2009: Axim and WHH (Part II)


I know this Part II comes before Part I but scroll down and do Part I and come back...........THANKS.

There were a couple of pictures of the kids I wanted to show you...

There was a haircut day and with Eric doing the cutting using a comb and a razor blade:

resulting in short hair for Godwin

and Stephen using lather and a razor resulting in Wohab going bald:

(I know it's a little hard to tell the difference!)

I didn't get around Axim very much but  it is primarily a fishing village and a market center for the immediate area.  It is very poor and needs some kind of economic boost.


 
And the ubiquitous sight of people of all ages walking with goods for delivery or sale.



One of the real highlights for me was the trip to Ankobra Beach of the Sunday afternoon before I left.  We hired a van and the 21 kids and four of us adults crammed into the 15 passenger van for the 30 minute drive to the beach.  I had told them the week before that we would be going and all week they excitedly asked me if it was really going to happen.  Apparently they had been promised before and it had fallen through.  The kids and the adults too had a blast.  I don't think any real swimming was done because the waves were too strong but there was abundant splashing and squealing.

 
 
 

I bought a crate of soda for them and they loved it.



including my little Olivia



The girls managed to capture House Mother Barbara and give her a dunking



There was a German family at the beach and our kids had fun with theirs




The resident dog caused no fear in Mary's heart.  She let him know right away who was boss.


A very enjoyable day ended



with a beautiful sunset.



So another Ghanaian experience came to an end.  It was filled with many challenges, some physical discomfort, new friends, a new family of children, a memorable time altogether.  So I headed back to home but not on the trusty Yamaha 400
 


No comments:

Post a Comment